Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream
New indulgent tasting healthier ice cream recipe made with yoghurt and no table sugar!
- 300ml Milk
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- 4 Medium Free Range Egg Yolks
- 100g Sweet Freedom Original
- 300ml Natural Yoghurt*
For the Raspberry Ripple:
- 150g Raspberries
- 50g Sweet Freedom Original
- Pour the milk into a pan, split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape the seeds into the milk. Add the pods and heat the milk until it is hot but not boiling. Take off the heat and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Whisk together the Sweet Freedom and egg yolks. Bring the milk up to the boil and pour onto the egg yolks, whisking continuously. Return to the pan and cook, stirring until the custard thickens slightly. Don't allow the custard to boil as it will curdle. Sieve into a clean jug and stir in the yoghurt. Cover the surface with baking parchment and leave to cool then chill until required, preferably overnight.
- Blend together the raspberries and Sweet Freedom then sieve to remove the seeds.
- Pour the chilled custard into an ice cream maker and churn until it is thick and creamy. Spoon a layer of the ice cream into a freeze proof container then drizzle with some raspberry puree. Repeat with the remaining ice cream and raspberry puree then freeze until required.
- Don't forget to transfer the ice cream to the fridge a little while before serving to allow it to soften slightly.
This delicious recipe (and mouthwatering pic) is courtesy of the lovely Suzie Banks. www.essentiallyhealthyfood.com.
*Suzie's original recipe used cream but we changed to yoghurt and loved it!